Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sports "Haters"

Back for the second entry of my blog and I want to report that my mom "thinks it's great."If Mom likes it what else matters right? My friend at work told me today that I haven't made it big in the blogging world till I have three non-family members or close friends that regularly read my blog, so clearly I have a ways to go.

There are so many interesting things going on in the sports world right now, whether it be NFL Free Agency, the race for the #1 spot in the Eastern Conference in basketball, the ongoing drama that is A-Rod, Bracketology, etc. By the way, does anyone have a better job then Joe Lunardi. Does he only work 2 months a year? Has anyone ever wondered what he tells people when they ask what he does. I'm Joe Lunardi and I am a bracketologist. That is one of those jobs that wouldn't have existed 10 years ago, the media is just crazy these days. I will touch upon the subjects above in later entries, but today I want to focus on what some like to call "Sports Haters." Every sports fan is a hater in some way, I am as guilty of it as anyone. Whenever Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter, or the entire Lakers team is playing I root against them passionately. But there are some people that take it to the extreme. If you have ever gone on some of these message boards, people act like these athletes and teams are the scum of the earth. Why so much hate? I think the root of it is because sports bring out so much passion and emotion in people. You could say it brings out the best and worst in all of us. The people I have a problem with, the real sports "haters," are the ones that attack the character of an athlete or coach simply because of who they play for. It really is sad that people spend the time and energy degrading these athletes. Don't people have anything better to do? It has just always confused me. The next time someone starts "hating" on a player or team ask them if they have any legitimate reasons for hating them. I would bet you won't get a legitimate reason. So there is my tangent on that.

Before I ship out for the night I want to talk a little bit about the backlash the Patriots are getting for this trade with the Chiefs. In my opinion it was a solid trade. Let's look at the facts. Matt Cassel played one year and though he played well, did so with an outstanding supporting cast, a supporting cast that went 18-0 and would've gone 19-0 without the luckiest catch in Super Bowl history( yes I'm bitter). Anyway, besides last year Brady has been as durable as they come, and I think he is going to be fine. In saying this, they should probably go after a veteran backup. Now, you might ask why they didn't get more then a 2nd rounder for Cassel and Vrabel. Sure they didn't get a 1st rounder technically, but what is the difference between the 32nd pick and the 34th, hell even the 34th and the 15th. This isn't basketball where chances are if you aren't in the top 20 you won't amount to anything. Many of the stars in our league are 2nd round picks or later. Also, now the Patriots have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. The Patriots have built a dynasty around this type of strategy. Plus, now the Patriots have a ton more cap room and can hopefully go after Julius Peppers or a solid corner or linebacker to strengthen their defense. I think the reaction to this trade is a reflection of the sports fan in general. It is all about what have you done for me lately, and who the guy of the moment is. People seem to forget that 2 years ago with essentially the same team, the Patriots almost went undefeated. Now don't get me wrong, I think Matt Cassel did a great job for the Pats last year, but I trust Belichick knows what he is doing.

Another entry finished and it feels good. I would love if I people read this, but if they don't it is still a blast rambling on about sports. Seriously, it's a great country that allows you to make a living off writing or talking about your opinions on sports. My parents always wondered why I would schedule my life around sports events, and I guess in a way it is kind of silly. But while sports does bring out the worst in us sometimes, I think it brings people together as well, and I really don't know what I'd do without them. Time to watch my Netflix, I will write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment