Monday, March 23, 2009

Boston Sports Fan Goes to Boston

I am back blogging my heart away after a crazy weekend in Massachusetts. Though it was one of the best weekends I have had in awhile, it's something I couldn't do all the time. I'm not sure how I did it in college. Friday night I visited my alma mater, Umass-Amherst. Walking around campus I was hit with a wave of nostalgia. I remembered the walks to class in the frigid New England cold, the countless basketball games at Boyden gym, the parties, the late night pizza binges at Antonios, and all the old friends I have lost touch with since graduating two years ago. Isn't it funny how you build such strong relationships with people for four years, then you gradually lose touch. I guess that is why I keep a journal so I can always remember the good times. Nothing affected me more then walking to my old apartment on the train tracks. For those of you who never had the pleasure to visit that old shack, it is truly a site to behold. It's a studio apartment essentially the size of a closet, and is located directly on the Amtrack train line. My apartment would literally shake three times a day, including every night at about 1 am. I don't really know how I lived there for two years, but then again I also don't know how I drank Busch light every weekend, you got to love college. While at the bar that night I realized that it's not the college itself that makes the experience, but rather the people at the college. The same bars and restaurants I used to see friends in are now filled with inebriated strangers. It is all kind of sad. I realized then, that while I had a good time, I was glad that part of my life was over. Everyone talks about entering the real world after college, but it's not like you can press a button and have all your old habits go away. There is that awkward stage in between the college life and the corporate life that can be hard to get through.
Saturday I spent the day in Boston and felt right at home. Everytime I go to Boston I start pronouncing words without the "r". For example, at work today I kept referring to Haymarket as Haymaaaket. It was great relaxing with my fellow Boston sports fans, where no one talks about the Patriots as cheaters and everyone hates the Yankees. I was ecstatic when my beloved Tarheels pulled out a nail biting victory against LSU. What I was even more ecstatic about was the fact that Ty Lawson had 23 points and 6 assists and essentially carried the Tarheels on his back down the stretch. For anyone who didn't think Lawson was the most important player on the Tarheels, there is your evidence.

This is a sports blog, so I should probably talk a little bit about sports in this entry, right? The Celtics had a great win against the Spurs friday night. Garnett changes this team completely and I'm fully confident that we can beat anyone with our full squad. It all really comes down to how the refs call the game. The Celtics play such a physical style that if the refs call it tight they will be in a heap of trouble. These NBA playoffs could be one of the best ever.

I know I didn't do much sports analysis in this entry, but sometimes I just like to rant about my theories in life, that is just who I am. Speaking of theories, one of my long standing beliefs was disproved this weekend. I've always believed that in every group there is one person that no one really truly likes but they accept them because it's always been that way. You know that person, that most people could do without seeing but because there's been a long history they are in the crew. With my college group of friends, there really isn't that dynamic. Everyone likes each other, and everyone brings something unique to the table. That is what friendship is all about.

I promise the next blog will be devoted more to sports, but I do want to explore the possibility of creating a new blog for just my basic thoughts on life. That one would definitely have to be edited though. Anyway, I'm going to finish watching the Celtics demolish the lowly Clippers and take a walk. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment