Sunday, March 1, 2009

Big changes in Beantown.

First blog entry and I have to admit I'm pretty excited. I don't know if anyone is going to read this, or think I'm interesting, but it is worth a shot. You always hear about all these athletes and celebrities with blogs, but I feel like us normal people might actually have more compelling things to say. I'm doing this in hopes that I have a talent at sports writing. I think it's awesome a person can get paid for writing their opinions on sports. This actually isn't totally new for me. I've kept a journal for a couple years with the hopes that when I am old and feeble I will be able to smile at the glory days.

What a crazy week for Boston sports teams. First Stephon Marbury gets signed by the Celtics then the Patriots trade Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel for a second round pick. I really like the Marbury signing. I liken it to when the Patriots signed Randy Moss, but with lower risk and lower reward. I feel like the Marbury situation was as much a product of him being on the Knicks and being coached by Isiah than him being a "cancer." The Celts really have nothing to lose here. If Marbury screws up they'll ship him out, and if he plays well maybe they have a shot at beating Lebron. By the way, the Cavs will be a much tougher out for the Celtics then the Lakers. You can guard Kobe by putting someone taller and stronger on him and being physical, but with Lebron you can only hope he misses, or the refs call him for traveling. Back to Marbury, if you look at his career totals they are amazing averaging over 19 points and 7 assists. Sure, he's not what he used to be, but if he gives them 13-15 minutes and around 6 points and 3 assists that will be worth the move. As for him causing issues in the locker room, I don't think it will be a problem. Pierce, Garnett, and Allen won't allow anything to disrupt the chemistry. I like the Mikey Moore signing too. We needed another big man and he will provide shot blocking off the bench that we didn't have before.

As for the Patriots trade, I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. It wasn't really a trade but a salary dump. They couldn't afford to have 2 QB's making that much money and Vrabel, as much as I love the guy, is getting older on a team that needs to get younger. In saying this, I feel like they could've gotten more, maybe a 1st rounder next year along with the 2nd round pick. It really all depends on if Brady gets injured again or not. You have to remember that Cassel played for one year and though he played well he had a great supporting cast and coach.

I could blabber on for days about this stuff but I have about 12 shows in the queue on my DVR I need to get started on. I don't really know how I lived without a DVR, it is truly an amazing invention. This has been fun and I hope I haven't bored my one or two viewers too much. Don't worry, I'm going to keep my day job. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment